Monday 5 May 2014

Captain's Blog - Star Date 5/5/14

Hello you beautiful being. How are you today? Feeling lucky? Adventurous? Excited? I know that I am. Every day is a wonderful adventure in which to learn something new. And so on to my next post...

I am what some might call a collector. Other, less polite beings, say hoarder - the brutes! So stuffed with booty is Clareways Towers that is often described as being like a museum and I like to think of this as a huge compliment!

Most of my pieces have been collected from around the globe, on my many adventures with the first mates. But some have been carefully scavenged from recycling, car boots, shop windows and the like, and over the next few weeks I'm going to give you my top tips for bargain home style on a budget of mere pennies.

Week One - Window Swag

In the Clareways lounge there is a mosaic heart shaped table, with heart shaped legs, which I just adore. This was procured from a Miss Selfridge shop window. The heart top was originally a hanging display but by using some mdf, a jigsaw and some glitter paint it soon became the best table ever!



Big chains of shops always over order on window displays and nearly always throw away the used ones from the stores.

Keep your eyes out for interesting props or graphics that you can re-use or turn into something exciting. Phone the store, email head office or go in and speak to the shop manager. Get your name down quickly before anyone else nabs the booty.

Most will give the stuff for free but some, like Monsoon, just ask for a small donation to charity.

No point trying Showcase cinemas - they send all of their stuff back...boo. But I had some luck with Disney by emailing their head office.

Top tips:-

Try Next for Christmas displays which are always excellent quality.

Find out where the 'flagship' stores are, as they tend to have bigger window displays with more props.

Next week get the down low on up-cycling!

xxThe Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment